Sunday 23 June 2013

Italy Cycling Trip

At the beginning of June I was lucky enough to go on a cycling holiday to Bormio, Northern Italy. We took both xc and road bikes, which was a luxury! I took my trusty, although budget road bike, borrowing a set of super speedy carbon tubular wheels from Strada, having never ridden tubs before I didn't know what to expect, they seemed to roll faster and feel much nicer than clinchers, but the roads in Italy aren't riddled with pot holes!!

First XC ride, Bormio 2000 Trails

The week had many highlights, one was riding the Stelvio pass. Bormio is at the foot of the pass, so the gradient ramps up very quickly! The climb last 13miles and gains 5,000feet in altitude, I rode it twice whilst we were there, with a best effort of 1.5hrs, which was almost quick enough to get me on first page on Strava, 27 out of 630, only and indication, but a good ride.
Stelvio, Bornio side
Summit descent

The only way is 
The cross country riding was also good, technical, but I could ride within my limits, I had borrowed a dropper post and I was amazed how much difference it made when riding technical descents, being able to get over the back wheel with no obstructions gave me much more confidence.

Since returning I have improved on my 10mile TT personal best, hopefully I can carry this form onto the next round of the Southern XC at the end of June.



No comments:

Post a Comment