Thursday 1 May 2014

2014 Race bike Review-KTM Myroon 29er

Thought it was about time I wrote a review of my new race bike.

I bought it as frame only through my team. I ride a 19" which comes in about perfect for me, 6ft, but very long legs but I don't like a long reach, so the 608mm top tube suits me well, i'd say upto 6ft 2 would fit depending on leg length etc.

Frame weight is 1250grams, this is on par with most xc race hardtails, maybe 150grams over the lightest frames. The build quality is good, nice paint work, I heli taped most of frame from new to avoid any scuffs. The frame uses a 27.2mm post, this is useful for adding a bit of comfort, but makes dropper post choices limited, so far I've liked the thinner post, no slipping like my Chinese frames.

The frame uses full length cable outer, which runs through the frame, keeps any mud out and avoids the cable fouling in the frame.

Frame uses a 142 x 12 maxle axle, adds stiffness, no issues with this, apart from the supplied KTM one is a bit cheapy.

Overall I've been happy with the frame, a few issues frustrate me; the lack of rear mud clearance. I use Schwalbe Racing Ralph 2.25" tyres which are a tight squeeze, I only use it for racing so I've yet to experience deep mud, but having had issues in races past with my frame clogging i'm not keen to repeat it, my Chinese frames have much more clearance, with similar seatstay lengths.
The frame uses a PF30 bottom bracket, they seem fragile by nature and SRAM versions are particularly poor, it makes the frame stiffer but I prefer the robustness of external BB's.
Another issue is the lack of SRAM compatibility, the frame comes as standard with a direct mount rear mech hanger which is only compatible with Shimano rear mechs, luckily a SRAM hanger can be ordered in. The frame uses a direct mount front mech, again it is not compatible with SRAM DM front mech's which fouls on the frame, how this is possible on a big brand frame is surprising and annoying.

I've had the bike built with 2 x 10 and 1 x 10 gearing, depending on the race. The built weight is approx. 21pounds built as 1 x 10, depending on tyre choice. Mixed of SRAM X0 drivetrain, Hope Race X2 Brakes, Lefty XLR 29er fork & Strada Carbon Wheels.

Overall the frame makes a good xc race hard tail, it feels more lively compared to my chinese frames, I can live with the frustrations, but i feel they could be improved upon.

2 comments:

  1. This post is great.your article is important and helpful for race.This post give more new informative information for race.Thanks a lot for share your great post. fifa world cup

    ReplyDelete
  2. What front mech were you using that fouled on the frame? SRAM make 3 types of direct mount front mech and the high direct mount should be compatible with this frame.
    Also, I don't think the BB is a PF30, although it is press fit.

    ReplyDelete